Monday, 8 May 2017

White-cheeked Pintail x Cape Teal

White-cheeked Pintail x Cape Teal hybrid (with White-cheeked Pintail), JCB Lakes, Rocester (Staffordshire, UK), 11th April 2017 - copyright Philip Ridsdale
(photo ID: 3201)


The White-cheeked Pintail influence in this bird is fairly obvious but for me the other parent wasn't so clear.  Thanks to Joern for pointing us to the correct ID.

White-cheeked Pintail x Cape Teal hybrid (same bird as in photo ID 3201 above), JCB Lakes, Rocester (Staffordshire, UK), 11th April 2017 - copyright Philip Ridsdale
(photo ID: 3200)



White-cheeked Pintail Anas bahamensis
Cape Teal Anas capensis

1 comment:

  1. What I appreciate about this blog is how it treats hybrid identification honestly. Rather than just asserting the ID, the author credits Joern for the correction and shows two photos for comparison — that's good documentation practice. It's a reminder that observation, patience, and sometimes a second thorfortune opinion are what turn a confusing sighting into a confirmed record. It's the same value of clear, reliable information that I appreciate — I've found that same straightforward quality at thor-fortune.bet recently. Great birding content — hybrids like this really keep you on your toes!

    ReplyDelete