Monday, 27 February 2017

Black-chinned Hummingbird x Broad-tailed Hummingbird

Black-chinned Hummingbird x Broad-tailed Hummingbird, Longmont, Boulder County (Colorado, USA), 8th July 2015 - copyright Steve Mlodinow
(photo ID: 2878)


Steve picked up on this bird as being rather different from Black-chinned Hummingbirds. He writes:
"The primary tips are distinctly narrower, a bit straighter.  The back color is actually rather like that of a Broad-tailed Hummingbird, which would explain the narrow, straight primary tips.  And... the inner primaries do not form a straight line, but start to widen after P4 or so, consistent with a non-Archilochus parent. Such as a Broad-tailed."
Black-chinned Hummingbird x Broad-tailed Hummingbird (same bird as in photo ID 2878 above), Longmont, Boulder County (Colorado, USA), 8th July 2015 - copyright Steve Mlodinow
(photo ID: 2879)



Black-chinned Hummingbird Archilochus alexandri
Broad-tailed Hummingbird Selasphorus platycercus

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Not sure if this blog is updated, but I noticed that there aren't currently any entries for Black-chinned x Anna's Hummingbird. A male showed up just outside of Vancouver, BC last spring and was well-photographed by a number of people. In case you are still updating this, I thought I should mention it for future entries! https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S36364635

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridget, thanks for you message. That looks like an interesting bird, and yes, we would love to feature it here. I am way behind in updating the site as I've been incredibly busy during the past year, but I am hoping to clear the backlog during this coming winter - and if you don't mind me using your photo I'll add that when I do.

      Thanks,
      Dave

      Delete
    2. Hi Dave, that's great. Yes, feel free to use it whenever you get around to it!
      Here's a link where you can download a full-size image:
      https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/19109171

      Delete
  2. this is a really interesting observation, especially how the shape of the primary feathers can help distinguish this bird from black-chinned hummingbirds. the comparison with broad-tailed hummingbirds makes the identification even more intriguing, particularly because of the differences in the inner primaries and back colour. it shows how detailed bird identification can become when you look closely at individual feather characteristics. while reading the post, i also came across koningcasino

    ReplyDelete