Wednesday 1 March 2017

Tunrda Bean Goose x Barnacle Goose

Tunrda Bean Goose x Barnacle Goose hybrid (with Tundra Bean Geese), Oost (Texel, Netherlands), 30th December 2016 - copyright Diederik Kok
(photo ID: 3006)


The pale cheek with a reddish brown lower rear section reminds me of some Red-breasted Goose hybrids but I don't think that can be the case here.  I've never seen Tundra Bean x Red-breasted but based on how White-fronted Goose x Red-breasted Goose hybrids look I would expect a darker body and a more obviously smaller bird.  So I think Barnacle Goose seems the better solution for the white-cheeked parent.  It would be difficult to say for sure what the grey goose parent was but the fact that it is surrounded by Tundra Bean Goose makes that a pretty good bet - and the bright orange legs and pale belly are certainly consistent with that.



Tundra Bean Goose Anser serrirostris (formerly Anser fabalis rossicus)
Barnacle Goose Branta leucopsis

No comments:

Post a Comment